John M. DeBoer
John DeBoer is a Senior Attorney at Kearney, McWilliams & Davis with over 15 years of specialized experience handling intellectual property matters. He earned his Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin. He then went on to earn his Juris Doctorate in Law from South Texas College of Law. Away from work, John enjoys reading to his son and staying physically active. His life will dramatically improve if the Longhorns can find their way back to winning more football games.
Mr. DeBoer practices patent, trademark, and copyright law, with an emphasis on global patent prosecution services including prior art searches, patent application preparation, response to patent office communications, and appellate/reexamination. His subject matter specializations include oil field tools and services, mechanical, chemical, energy, bio, food preparation, sporting goods, construction, and more.
John has provided services to numerous law firms and Fortune 500 companies in the Houston area, and serves as general IP counsel for individual clients and small businesses. Prior to private practice, he was a patent examiner at the USPTO and worked in the chemical and petroleum industry, including upstream and downstream operations.
John is based in the Houston office of Kearney, McWilliams & Davis.
- J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston, 2009
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- Rao DeBoer Osterrieder, PLLC: Partner
- DeBoer IP, PC: Managing Attorney
- Porter Hedges LLP: Technical Advisor
- Osha Liang LLP: Patent Agent
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office: Patent Examiner
Admissions to Practice
- Southern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Colorado District Court
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- State Bar of Texas